How do I let the mealworms sleep forever? How do I store them long term?
1. How do I let them sleep forever? Is it inhumane?
- The best way is to put them in your freezer. Insects are very dependent on their outside temperature.
- In freezing them, their body temperature comes down and they start hibernating and die without stress.
- There is no slaughtering here, they go take a winter nap, something that they are used to in nature.
- Please make sure they are deeply frozen for a reasonable amount of time (minimum 5 hours), so they are not in the hibernation mode anymore.
- Afterwards, you can process them for example cooking. We highly recommend to heat them up before consumption.