Are vegetarian/vegan allowed to eat mealworms?
1. Are vegetarian/vegan allowed to eat mealworms?
- Let’s be honest, vegans and vegetarian are “allowed” to eat anything.
- The question would rather be: “Do I accept to eat mealworms?” The choice is upon them! If you just simply don’t want to eat any animal, it’s your choice and we respect it!
- If you don’t eat meat or animal products for environmental reasons, you might find it suitable to eat insects.
- If it’s for the health reason, as said previously mealworms are very nutritious and contain few saturated fat.
- If it’s an ethical choice, the current scientific consensus emits some doubts regarding insects pain and emotion, so it might also be okay for you.
- Actually, we have many vegetarian/vegan customers as they are usually concerned with vitamin B12 deficiency which can cause tiredness, mental problems, or even nerve problems.
2. Do I have to be concerned about animal welfare with the Hive?
- Every organism has to be treated with respect, no matter how large or small it is. We are concerned with animal welfare at Livin Farms and want to act absolutely protective of all the species that we deal with.
- We designed the Hive in a way that the worms can be happy in there. Insects in nature occur in large amounts on small and densely populated spaces.
- They actually need the contact to their buddies to develop their skin. Therefore, we can assume that they feel well when held like this, totally opposite from a cow or pig!